[Tagging] Request for comments on proposed tags for amenity=drinking_water

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 15:25:28 BST 2011

2011/8/24 Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com>:
> On 08/23/2011 06:49 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> If you are doing an import you should check beforehand if there is
>> already a drinking water fountain in OSM mapped to avoid duplicates.
>
> I do a proximity check

that's good to read

>: however there is a problem in that legitimate
> drinking fountain spacing can be far smaller than normal GPS or air photo
> resolution.  The proximity conflation can produce false results.

yes, it is not completely rare that there is more then one fountain
close to each other.

> It is usually impossible to pick out the fountains on even the best air
> photos (and OSM does not have the best air photos).

Sure, and it impossible to get the type from any imagery I have seen so far.

Another issue that might be important for you: amenity=fountain
(drinkable=yes) is also a variant to look for. See here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dfountain

cheers,
Martin