[Tagging] landuse=residential and named residential areas which belong together (neighbourhoods/subdivisions?)

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Tue Aug 30 00:18:38 BST 2011

On 29/08/2011 23:35, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> On 8/29/2011 6:05 PM, Dave F. wrote:
>> Mapping the difference between a
>> residential estate & a golf course is, IMO, the bare minimum.
> Here's an example of a residential community (Bay Hill) that has a
> golf course within it:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.46222&lon=-81.50576&zoom=16&layers=M

This is a great example to verify my point. People live around the golf
course but not on it. They definitely don't live in the lake! These
should be traced around or converted to inner multi-polygons.

BTW, what are boundary=landuse & boundary=neighborhood?

Why is a residential & village relation perimeter about 100 yards in the
lake?

Is multi-polygon relation 1274780 a connected loop. In P2 the 'select
all member options' highlight non-looped ways.

>> your example, how would you produce a map that showed just
>> where domestic housing was or calculate the area taken by this housing.
> This is what building polygons are for.

I think you misunderstand. I meant the area that contained domestic
housing, not mapping individual buildings.

Cheers
Dave F.