[Tagging] landuse=residential and named residential areas which belong together (neighbourhoods/subdivisions?)

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 01:27:53 BST 2011

On 8/29/2011 7:18 PM, Dave F. wrote:
> On 29/08/2011 23:35, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>> On 8/29/2011 6:05 PM, Dave F. wrote:
>>> Mapping the difference between a
>>> residential estate & a golf course is, IMO, the bare minimum.
>> Here's an example of a residential community (Bay Hill) that has a
>> golf course within it:
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.46222&lon=-81.50576&zoom=16&layers=M
>
> This is a great example to verify my point. People live around the golf
> course but not on it. They definitely don't live in the lake! These
> should be traced around or converted to inner multi-polygons.

'Should' being your own personal preference. The golf course is part of
the residential community known as Bay Hill.

> BTW, what are boundary=landuse & boundary=neighborhood?

Boundaries of landuse and neighborhoods...

> Why is a residential & village relation perimeter about 100 yards in the
> lake?

Where else would you put it? Residential docks extend into the lake, so
it's incorrect to put it at the shoreline.

> Is multi-polygon relation 1274780 a connected loop. In P2 the 'select
> all member options' highlight non-looped ways.

Yes, it is a closed loop.

>>> your example, how would you produce a map that showed just
>>> where domestic housing was or calculate the area taken by this housing.
>> This is what building polygons are for.
>
> I think you misunderstand. I meant the area that contained domestic
> housing, not mapping individual buildings.

If it's a front yard, people don't live in it.