[Tagging] landuse=residential and named residential areas which belong together (neighbourhoods/subdivisions?)

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Tue Aug 30 11:40:33 BST 2011

On 30/08/2011 01:27, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> On 8/29/2011 7:18 PM, Dave F. wrote:
>>> Here's an example of a residential community (Bay Hill) that has a
>>> golf course within it:
>>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.46222&lon=-81.50576&zoom=16&layers=M
>>>

>> This is a great example to verify my point. People live around the golf
>> course but not on it. They definitely don't live in the lake! These
>> should be traced around or converted to inner multi-polygons.
>
> 'Should' being your own personal preference.

Well, not really, it's one of the reasons multi-polygons were devised &
implemented.

> The golf course is part of the residential community known as Bay Hill.
>>
>> BTW, what are boundary=landuse & boundary=neighborhood?
>
> Boundaries of landuse and neighborhoods...

You appear to be confusing the landuse tag with the boundary tag.

The landuse tag implies a boundary. There's no need to explicitly
declare it.

If using an area polygon ,suburbs etc should be tagged with boundary=.
Suburbs include residential, schools & golf courses etc.

Residential areas within suburbs should be mapped separately & tagged
with land use=residential.
Golf courses etc,  should, as you've done, be also be mapped separately,
but they should not overlap with residential.

>> Why is a residential & village relation perimeter about 100 yards in the
>> lake?
>
> Where else would you put it? Residential docks extend into the lake,
> so it's incorrect to put it at the shoreline.

I disagree.

>> Is multi-polygon relation 1274780 a connected loop. In P2 the 'select
>> all member options' highlight non-looped ways.
>
> Yes, it is a closed loop.

>>> This is what building polygons are for.
>>
>> I think you misunderstand. I meant the area that contained domestic
>> housing, not mapping individual buildings.
>
> If it's a front yard, people don't live in it.

If it's part of domestic residence, which can include a house, gardens,
sheds, garages & front yards, then yes, they do.

Cheers
Dave F.