[Tagging] RFC: place=neighbourhood

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 13:00:06 BST 2011

2011/8/31 John F. Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com>:
> "Dave F." <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:
>> On 31/08/2011 02:04, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
>> > I encourage use of this type of tag /primarily/ on /nodes/.
>> > The boundaries in most case are far too fluid to use this on areas.
>> I tend to agree with Bryce. Quite often in the UK there are
>> disagreements where suburbs/neighbourhoods boundaries occur.
>> There's also boundary creep
> when residents can address their property
>> as being in an adjacent area when it's perceived to be a bit posher.
> The same situations occur in the USA.

well, the proposal states that mapping as a node is fine. From a data
user point of view I'd prefer areas because they allow to estimate the
size (even if the boundaries might be fluid and not exact), but it's
the mappers that decide which representation is the best.

>  Neighborhood names can also shift over time.

sure, everything changes. That's also one of the strengths of OSM (to
cope with that).

>  My neighborhood shows up on maps as "Murray Heights", probably dating back to the original real-estate development in the 1950's.  In the 19 years I have lived here, I have never heard anyone call it by that name, but I have heard it referred to by the names of the two larger, adjacent neighborhoods.

so I guess in OSM your neighbourhood will get a different name then on "maps".

Cheers,
Martin