[Tagging] landuse=residential and named residential areas which belong together (neighbourhoods/subdivisions?)

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 13:50:31 BST 2011

On 8/31/2011 8:35 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:

> I thought the issue was that there are two distinct concepts:
>
>    boundaries, where there is some legal distinction and a precise edge
>
>    place names, which have more or less indistinct boundaries.
>

> In my area, towns have boundaries, and there are village centers that
> have names like "West Acton" which have as far as I know no actual
> boundaries and no legal standing.

There's a third possibility - the unincorporated suburb or exurb that
nevertheless has a defined boundary, since it's planned or controlled by
one company. I think Columbia, Maryland is this way; closer to me is The
Villages, a huge retirement community that is its own Micropolitan
Statistical Area (and where our governor goes when he needs tea bags).

In New England, don't you have the concept of a 'thickly settled' area
where lower speed limits apply? Could this be used to form boundaries of
village centers?