[Tagging] Use of place=suburb (was Re: RFC: place=neighbourhood)

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Wed Aug 31 16:07:52 BST 2011

* Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> [2011-08-31 14:33 +0200]:
> No, suburb is actually not necessarily outside the city (in OSM), it
> is used for central districts as well.

I've often been confused by the suburb tag and maybe someone can clear it
up for me.

The tags place=city, place=town, place=village, and place=hamlet are
mutually exclusive; if a spot is in a place=village, then it's not in an
adjacent place=town.  It seems to be that place=suburb is regarded as
hierarchically below place=city (at least); if a spot is in a
place=suburb, it could also be in a place=city.  Is that a correct
understanding of the tag's usage?  Could the proposed place=neighbourhood
tag within a place=town or place=village be analogous to place=suburb
within a place=city?  (Assuming I'm correct here, I guess
place=neighbourhood would strictly be hierarchically below place=suburb,
so a suburb could comprise more than one neighborhood.)

--- --
<dark> eat Depends: cook | eat-out.
       But eat-out is non-free so that's out.
       And cook Recommends: clean-pans.