[Tagging] Use of place=suburb (was Re: RFC: place=neighbourhood)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 17:37:40 BST 2011

2011/8/31 Phil! Gold <phil_g at pobox.com>:
> * Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> [2011-08-31 14:33 +0200]:
>> No, suburb is actually not necessarily outside the city (in OSM), it
>> is used for central districts as well.
>
> I've often been confused by the suburb tag and maybe someone can clear it
> up for me.
>
> The tags place=city, place=town, place=village, and place=hamlet are
> mutually exclusive; if a spot is in a place=village, then it's not in an
> adjacent place=town.

+1, that's how I see it as well. I'd also include
place=isolated_dwelling to this list.

> It seems to be that place=suburb is regarded as
> hierarchically below place=city (at least); if a spot is in a
> place=suburb, it could also be in a place=city.

yes, I'd say it has to be part of some bigger entity (city, town,
maybe even village).

> Could the proposed place=neighbourhood
> tag within a place=town or place=village be analogous to place=suburb
> within a place=city?

yes, and it could also be a place within a suburb.

> (Assuming I'm correct here, I guess
> place=neighbourhood would strictly be hierarchically below place=suburb,
> so a suburb could comprise more than one neighborhood.)

yes, there is some hierarchy, but I am not sure if it is _strictly_
hierarchical (a neighbourhood is smaller, but maybe there can be a
neighbourhood whose limits despite being small do not perfectly
coincede with those of the suburb hence making it part of 2 suburbs. I
am not completely sure about this, maybe it's nonsense, I have no
example from the real world that would prove the idea).

cheers,
Martin