[Tagging] A name for stony ground?

Johan Jönsson johan.j at goteborg.cc
Wed Aug 31 18:50:22 BST 2011

A name to use for tagging stony ground.
I am looking for a denomination to use for an area that have little or no
vegetation so that the stony ground shows. Could there be a tag describing
everything from coarse gravel, boulders, scree to exposed bedrock.

I have earlier looked for a name for areas of exposed bedrock, depreceating just
rock or rocks because of ambiguity with large stones and cliffs and arriving at
the term: "bare_rock"
There seem to be some precedent on using bare_rock both for solid bedrock and
fragmented pieces of bedrock and fields of boulders.

So do anyone have any insight in this?

previously discussed in
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2011-January/006662.html