[Tagging] short 2nd RFC for additional barrier values

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Aug 31 19:13:41 BST 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 19:29 +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> Yes, I see this basically the same. Someone else put them and I kept
> them because it does not really matter to me, if someone bothers to
> tag them that way, they can do it. cable_barrier seems to be a variety
> of guard_rail but maybe could also merit its own tag.

In intention yes, though in reality, the cable barriers are about as
effective as chain link fence for stopping most motorized vehicles.
They're certainly not the vehicle-eating and idiot-penalizing hedgerows
that they commonly replaced along motorways in the pacific northwest;
we've had quite a few motorway-speed head-ons that the cable barriers
failed to prevent and I'm unaware of any that were prevented by the
cable barriers in Oregon or Washington.  Their existence seems to be
entirely nonfunctional and purely symbolic.  Why Oregon DOT decided to
even think of going with those instead of the far more effective and
proven jersey barrier they invented themselves is beyond me, give they
invented it after seeing Caltrans turn out to be wrong thinking a chain
link fence can stop a Buick doing 70 from crossing over an otherwise
flat, paved median...