[Tagging] RFC: place=neighbourhood

"Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" xificurk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 13:55:25 GMT 2011

Martin Koppenhoefer napsal(a):
>> Well, personally I would be glad if we could change the definition to
>> something like "smallest inhabited entity in the division hierarchy of
>> larger settlement".
>> I would like to use this tag for rural areas, i.e. named parts of
>> villages, because place=suburb sounds like a horrible idea for this purpose.
>

> that's perfectly fine (and the intention of this tag). Isn't this
> already covered by this paragraph? "You can map settlement parts which
> are bigger then a single plot and smaller then a quarter with this
> tag. It can apply to residential areas, commercial areas, industrial
> areas and all other kind of landuse and mixes of landuses. It depends
> on history, culture, politics, economy and more how settlements are
> organized, so more specific rules are avoided."

Oh, you're right... I was a bit confused by the "Definition" paragraph:

The tag place=neighbourhood should be applied to a part of a bigger part
of settlement where this part is smaller then a quarter, while a quarter
itself is a part of a place=suburb.

It would be helpful to clarify that the whole hierarchy does not need to
be strictly "whatever">suburb>quarter>neighbourhood, but also e.g.
village>neighbourhood.

Best regards,
Petr Morávek aka Xificurk