[Tagging] Rd --> Road

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Dec 29 17:53:51 GMT 2011

On 12/29/11 12:12 PM, Toby Murray wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Martijn van Exel<mvexel at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 12/29/2011 10:35 AM, Richard Welty wrote:
>>
>> I appreciate the potential pitfalls with automatic expansion - in general, I
>> would not be in favor. I'll give it a try on my local machine with this
>> particular small region I downloaded.
> There was a script. It is even in the OSM svn:
> http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/utils/import/tiger2osm/expand
>
> It was run on the western US although it does seem to have missed a
> few (probably just failed uploads or something)
>
> I wrote a blog post about this :)
> http://ksmapper.blogspot.com/2011/05/main-attraction.html
how far east did it get run? i saw some failures of a script run over
Nevada Iowa last year (not necessarily the script you're referring to):

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=42.02091&lon=-93.44698&zoom=15&layers=M

the script had converted E Ave to East Avenue, N Ave to North Avenue and
S Ave
to South Avenue, all of which were errors (Nevada avenue names are
single letters.)
>> About this tiger:reviewed -- what specifically needs to be reviewed for this
>> tag to be removed? I have personally never removed a tiger:reviewed. Is this
>> something that could be a JOSM builtin function or plugin?
> > From what I have seen, different people use it for different things. I
> have seen some people who seem to do a CTRL-A in JOSM before they
> upload and remove all the tiger:reviewed tags. I personally only
> remove it if I have traveled down the road with a GPS device running.
> Some people change it from "no" to "aerial" after they have aligned it
> to imagery.

i verify the name, connectivity to the grid, and drive the length of it
(unless it's a short stub which is entirely observable from one end,
which happens in some residential neighborhoods.) generally i do
this with the Hansen/Lambertus Garmin maps loaded up in my
GPS so i have a reference for what's in OSM vs what i'm seeing on
the ground.

lately i've also been getting a value for maxspeed where possible.
generally i get a gps track, although frequently i use bing imagery for
alignment instead these days.

richard