[Tagging] Rd --> Road

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Thu Dec 29 19:55:36 GMT 2011

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net> wrote:
> On 12/29/11 11:30 AM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just came across an area with some abbreviated road names. JOSM issued a
>> warning about this, suggesting I expand these 'Something Rd' names to their
>> full equivalents. Is this indeed common practice? If so, this could be
>> scripted, couldn't it?
>>

> it could be. however, automated expansion of road names can be risky
> (rd->road is fairly safe.)
>
> but i use the expansion locally as an aid for tracking what roads i've
> reviewed; i expand them
> when i remove the tiger:reviewed tags.

Yes, please don't blindly expand street suffixes. I would only expand
the name and remove the tiger tags once you have somehow verified the
name and connectivity. In my county I've been systematically replacing
bad TIGER data with high-quality county data, but only do so in
regions that haven't been touched since the import (last
user:DaveHansenTiger). If someone expands these en masse without
improving or at least checking on the quality, I think it is at best a
waste of effort and at worst damaging (by giving a false impression of
quality to others).

-Josh