[Tagging] historic tagging, obelisks

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Tue Feb 1 13:17:46 GMT 2011

On 01/02/2011 12:11, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> To tag obelisks I suggest
>
> man_made=obelisk
>
> an alternative could be
>
> historic=obelisk
>
> but some obelisks are actually not old, so historic might not yet be
> an appropriate tag for them. In combination with historic:civilization
> and historic:period they could still be clearly distinguished.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obelisk
>
> example for a not so old Obelisk:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Myanmar-Yangon-Independence_Monument_in_Mahabandoola_park.jpg
>
> Are there any objections? Otherwise I'll set up a proposal.

As that Wikipedia article says, its just a particular style/shape of
monument or memorial.
So I think it would be best tagged as historic=monument or
historic=memorial, plus a subtag for obelisk.
Maybe something like monument:style=obelisk ?

There's quite a few other monument/memorial styles that would be useful
to tag, eg statue, fountain, spire etc.

Craig