[Tagging] historic tagging, obelisks

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 23:09:49 GMT 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:35 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> This could be a way, but I am not yet convinced. Churches, temples and
> towers are also monuments, but we don't tag them currently as subtypes
> of monument. Indeed the tag historic=monument is very vague and
> therefor not very useful IMHO.

Do you mean the documentation is vague? Then let's fix it.

My thinking in wanting columns, obelisks, memorials, monuments etc
grouped under "historic" is because they're thematically related. Who
is likely to want to see them on a map? Probably a tourist or someone
with a particular interest in history.

Dumping things under man_made=* isn't helpful because virtually
everything we map would be either man_made=* or natural=*. We need to
build smaller sets of things that work together.

Btw your Las Vegas example is clearly an exception. I certainly
wouldn't use the same tag for a real, historical obelisk and some sort
of advertising feature.

Steve