[Tagging] historic tagging, obelisks

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 18:03:48 GMT 2011

2011/2/1 Johan Jönsson <johan.j at goteborg.cc>:
> M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at ...> writes:
> No key is really spot-on, well maybe landmark but that is used on seamaps to
> mark prominent features on the horizon.

IMHO man_made is, it is used for towers and windmills, and I see
obelisks somehow in this range of things.

> So how to tag prominent features on the streets and squares. I think that there
> should be some general tag for all free standing columns and some special tag to
> separate the obelisk.

there could also be a tag to describe the object by it's properties
(such as form, purpose/function, who built it, when, color, size,
etc.) and set an attribute if it is especially "prominent" (because
this also depends on the surroundings), e.g. landmark=* or yes, which
can be combined with all other tags.

> My suggestion is man_made=column

is fine, but not for obelisks ;-)

> There is alot in common between the columns and other prominent monuments and
> such, like statues, fountains and different kinds of modern sculpture.
> maybe man_made=sculpture is an even more general tag?

there is this horrible tourism=artwork, which could be transferred
into culture=artwork, artwork=sculpture, ...

Not sure if an obelisk is artwork though.

cheers,
Martin