[Tagging] historic tagging, obelisks

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 20:22:41 GMT 2011

2011/2/3 Johan Jönsson <johan.j at goteborg.cc>:
> It would be great if there where an english term that could encompass
> obelisks, high freestanding columns and other stelae that is clos in resemblance.

Hm, not sure if we need this. I would in fact like to have a distinct
tag for columns as well.

> Maybe tourism, culture or landmark=obelisk could work?

landmark would work for many cases (could be tagged additionally when
it applies), culture is not very clear if it comes and where it steers
to, but tourism is IMHO not good at all.

I set up a proposal for man_made=obelisk.

Can you please help me to find the right word for stuff that is added
later on top? (in German that would be something like "Bekrönung" or
"Spitze"): e.g.
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:Obeliskenspitze.jpg&filetimestamp=20051003131029

the proposal is here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/obelisk