[Tagging] Open cut mining

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 13:04:36 GMT 2011

2011/2/5 Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net>:
> I'm tracing a big open cast mine which has
>
> pit; tailings dump; ore dump; processing plant to concentrate
> ore; water supply; container loading facility for concentrate (goes in
> smallish containers by road to a rail siding)
>
> I've got a major shortage of tags and don't have anyone nearby to ask
> about suitable tags
>
> Then there is a small residential area and an airstrip
>
> Would people make this lot into a site_relation?

not sure about the relation (multipolygon could maybe do as well). I
guess there is no tags for the single parts yet (ore dump, ...), so a
proposal would be nice to have more detailed minery-mapping. Maybe you
could make a big polygon (or multipolygon) around everything, giving
that the name of the site and some tags to mark it (like
landuse=open_cast_mining / or maybe quarry), and then tag the
individual parts with their actual details. Would you consider the
residential area and the airstrip part of the mining site?

cheers,
Martin