[Tagging] Open cut mining

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Sat Feb 5 22:16:13 GMT 2011

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 14:04:36 +0100
M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/2/5 Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net>:
> > I'm tracing a big open cast mine which has
> >
> > pit; tailings dump; ore dump; processing plant to concentrate
> > ore; water supply; container loading facility for concentrate (goes
> > in smallish containers by road to a rail siding)
> >
> > I've got a major shortage of tags and don't have anyone nearby to
> > ask about suitable tags
> >
> > Then there is a small residential area and an airstrip
> >
> > Would people make this lot into a site_relation?
>

> not sure about the relation (multipolygon could maybe do as well). I
> guess there is no tags for the single parts yet (ore dump, ...), so a
> proposal would be nice to have more detailed minery-mapping. Maybe you
> could make a big polygon (or multipolygon) around everything, giving
> that the name of the site and some tags to mark it (like
> landuse=open_cast_mining / or maybe quarry), and then tag the
> individual parts with their actual details. Would you consider the
> residential area and the airstrip part of the mining site?
>
> cheers,
> Martin

the residential village and the airstrip are part of the mining site
from the social and economic points of view - single owner, single
purpose
the 132km of haul road also belongs in the economic view of the mining
site, but would not be appropriate in a polygon, but could be added to
a relation, which was why I was suggesting relation