[Tagging] [OSM-dev] capitals; normalizing true, yes and 1

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 5 13:57:37 GMT 2011

I'm not sure that it would be wise to imply that a capital of an area is
also the capital of lower-level areas. There are plenty of examples
where this is NOT the case; Amsterdam is the capital of The Netherlands
(but NOT the seat of government), but Haarlem is the capital of the
province which contains Amsterdam. I think there is no alternative but
to include the individual levels explicitly. Applications will just have
to get used to it...

How would you tag this using relations as you suggest?

Colin