[Tagging] Tagging long roads

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 08:20:41 GMT 2011

2011/2/16 Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>

> On 2/15/2011 10:22 PM, Andrew Errington wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have noticed inconsistencies and discrepancies in motorway names here in
>> Korea.  I can fix this because I have photographed the roadsigns which
>> give
>> the correct names, however, the motorway ways are split into many (many!)
>> segments due to bridges, tunnels, changes in numbers of lanes or speed
>> limits
>> etc.  Plus, there are two ways for each segment (one in each direction).
>>
>> Is there a tool which will 'follow' a way based on some unchanging tag
>> (e.g.
>> ref=*) and alter other tags on each segment it finds?  I only want to
>> change
>> the name=* tag.  I don't want to change any other tags as they represent
>> other mappers' work.
>>

> Use the xapi in JOSM to download all motorways in the area, or all ref=*,
> or whatever: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Xapi (ctrl-L and paste the
> URL)
> Then select all the ways (ctrl-F type:way ref=*) and change the tags.

Also, if a relation was defined that groups all the ways for that highway,
you could select all the members of the relation - even beetter, you could
move common tags (possibly name, ref, even highway) to the relation itself.

A slight OT: is there some agreed decision on how to solve conflicts in tags
between a relation and its elements?

Regards,

Simone