[Tagging] Tagging long roads

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Thu Feb 17 19:56:22 GMT 2011

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:46:38 +0100
Simone Saviolo <simone.saviolo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I mean, if the relation says "name=Foo" and the way says "name=Bar",
> what should a consumer do?

We are using relations to map long highways, which in Australia
customarily have names, which are well known. The route numbers are
less well known.
When a highway goes through a town, the streets it uses still have
individual names eg Railway Street, Main Street.
So it is quite normal for the relation to have "name=Foo" and the way
have "name=Baa".

Martin thinks that
> For the name tag I would asume that the way is
> more probably correct then the relation, because relations are usually
> made for ways with the same ref, while the name might change along the
> road and I would asume that who made the relation maybe overlooked the
> differing name.

but this is now a rendering problem, as both names are correct.