[Tagging] Counterflow Lanes

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 02:08:28 GMT 2011

On 2/19/2011 7:24 PM, Paul Norman wrote:
> The Massey Tunnel is currently tagged with oneway=no on the reversible
> section and through the tunnel itself.
>
> For the reversible sections (that lead up to the tunnel) they really
> alternate between oneway=-1, oneway=yes and access=no. For the two parallel
> tunnels themselves they alternate between oneway=yes and oneway=no.
>
> I'm not sure what the solution is, but oneway=reversible isn't a special
> case of oneway=yes so it would break existing data consumers.

Don't we want to break existing consumers if they might route people the
wrong way down a one-way highway? If you're familiar with the I-5
express lanes in Seattle, that's the type of thing where
oneway=reversible makes sense - a single roadway that is always one-way.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RockCreekParkway_directions.jpg shows
a related case where the road is one-way during rush hours but two-way
at other times (thus a router would be wrong to treat it as two-way).
Ideally the map would use a special symbol for these and people wouldn't
rely so much on the bloody router.

It looks like the Massey Tunnel is more complicated in that you can
always go through it but usually only in one of the tubes. This is very
similar to the original question of how to handle a road where some of
the lanes in the center are reversible, with the complication of a dual
carriageway. I'm not sure what I'd do here.

By the way, http://www.flickr.com/photos/talkingdc/303066179/ does a
good job (other than the am/pm error) of showing an example of the
original question.