[Tagging] [Talk-us] place=city name=Tri-Cities

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 14:38:58 GMT 2011

2011/2/24 McGuire, Matthew <Matt.McGuire at metc.state.mn.us>:
> More could be done with metro areas. For example, OSM Mapnik renders the Saint Paul label at a 'higher' level than Minneapolis. Is there some way to identify Minneapolis as the largest city of the metro area

do you mean large by population or large by extension? Use a polygon
tagged as place for the latter and the key population for the first.
To tag the population of the metropolitan area we might have to invent
another tag (I think it would be useful in lots of cases) and another
one for the "population in the urban agglomeration".

s.th. like
population:metropolitan
population:urban_agglomeration

> and Saint Paul as the Capitol of the State of Minnesota?

I'd use capital=4 for state capitals.

To unify then Minneapolis and St. Paul you could use / invent a
metropolitan-relation (or simply use a multipolygon?). Would that also
be for stuff like "Boswash"? Will we need to invent a
Megalopolis-relation then? Maybe those could all be unified in a new
type place-relation (which is not administrative of course). Then
there could be subtypes on the relation tagged with place=megalopolis,
place=metropolitan_area, place=urban_agglomeration.

In this case we would not have to invent subtags for population but we
could use the standard population tag on the relations (or even assume
that this would be calculated from the single parts, each tagged as
place and with their population).

Cheers,
Martin