[Tagging] designated bike lane

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Sat Jan 1 18:09:22 GMT 2011

On 1/1/11 12:40 PM, Anthony wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Richard Welty<rwelty at averillpark.net>  wrote:
>>> In this case I'm not even sure it's physically possible for a bicycle
>>> to fit in the supposed bicycle lane, let alone safe.
>> the debate over whether we should include judgmental informantion
>> in tags (especially for bike lanes) has been going on for a while.
>> maybe we need a tag which is understood to sometimes be judgmental.
> What do you mean by "judgmental"?
there have been arguments about whether safety considerations
should factor into bike lane tagging, with some taking the posture
that only physical and legal attributes should be mapped, and others
wanting to include their judgment about whether a particular lane
or path is "safe" for some definition of safe.

so the safety/hazard factor is sometimes a judgmental issue.
i know that there are some freshly painted bike lanes on US 4
in East Greenbush where i'd be tempted to put something
like

hazard=sewer_grate

if such a tag existed

richard