[Tagging] designated bike lane

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Sat Jan 1 19:30:31 GMT 2011

On 1/1/11 2:17 PM, Robert Elsenaar wrote:
> "hazard:bicycle" is the other way round. If there is a key/value e.g.
> "hazard=narrow" then you can easily use "cycleway:hazard=narrow" to
> tag the fact that the hazard tag is specificly warns for a narrow
> cycle-lane.
>
> highway=*
> cycleway:right=lane
> cycleway:width=0.5
> cycleway:hazard=narrow
>
> I think this is a beautifull set of tags that describes objectivity
> the shown situation.

i'm going to suggest that we don't do narrow in this manner. going back
to the photo that started this whole thing, i'd suggest

cycleway:right=lane
cycleway:width=0.5
cycleway:hazard=barrier

to indicate that the lane is narrow (width is sufficient indication of this)
and that there's a physical barrier to one side. the cyclist should
be able to infer that s/he'll be riding in a narrow lane with traffic
to one side and a barrier to the other.

richard