[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - sluice_gate

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 12:15:25 GMT 2011

On 4 January 2011 07:19, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at googlemail.com> wrote:
> BTW: My feeling is, that sluice gates formerly were tagged with
> waterway=weir most of the time anyway.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't be updated/added if there is a better tag...

> The suggested term floodgate would be more intuitive for me as a none native
> speaker - if the term fits for native speakers as well.

I actually think we need some way to indicate scale, wikipedia seems
to indicate sluice gates are usually on the small side of things,
spillway gates are usually much larger, for a good example of spillway
gates see the photos Liz linked to of Wivenhoe and Somerset, those
dams were specifically built to reduce or prevent Brisbane (state
capital of Queensland Australia) from flooding. In fact Wivenhoe was
upgraded in recent times to hold 200% normal operating capacity.

As for floodgates these aren't usually closed except in times of
flooding and should be tagged differently again so they can be
rendered differently for those that care about such things.