[Tagging] Thoughts on how to replace or modify an exist/established tag (Was: Feature Proposal - RFC - sluice_gate)

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 23:05:59 GMT 2011

  On 7/01/2011 4:00 AM, Peter Wendorff wrote:
> What's the benefit of that?
> What beside of this - I fear, stupid - "certification" is the benefit
> for a hiking map in supporting e.g. maxspeed of motorways as part of
> the OSM core being the decision basis to get the certification?
You've unfortunately made a couple of big assumptions, and drawn
conclusions from those.

Assumption 1: That there would only be one set of tags. (I used the
example "core" specifically because I expect there will be other,
"non-core" sets of tags)
Assumption 2: That every product that uses OSM data must support all
defined tags.

Instead, I can imagine "core" being very small. Maybe it doesn't even
need to exist. And then other sets: core, urban, natural, water,
cycling, ... Perhaps they overlap. We haven't even started thinking
about this yet.

>   so the core definition you propose would require to include
> buildings in the map, no matter of their size and the drawbacks of
> excluding most old devices by including the building layer?
No one has suggested such a thing.
> Additionally there would have to be an organization/council/something
> to give the certification to the application (in wide interpretation)
> developer/vendor.

Let's not get sidetracked by this future hypothetical idea of
"certification". The first step is to define actual sets of tags, with
clear semantics.

Steve