[Tagging] Thoughts on how to replace or modify an exist/established tag (Was: Feature Proposal - RFC - sluice_gate)

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 23:10:10 GMT 2011

  On 7/01/2011 7:07 AM, Ralf Kleineisel wrote:
> I think that map renderers and map makers already do their best to
> support as many useful (for their map!) tags as possible and most
> mappers do their best to map according to the wiki definition because
> they want their work to appear on the maps.
If by "do their best" you mean, the people involved work hard and in
good faith, yes. If you mean the result is optimal, then clearly not.
There are lots of bugs in mapnik. And just look at the table I produced
to see the wide discrepancy in tag support across different editors and
renderers:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Stevage/tagsupport

> Remember, the goal of OSM is a FREE map, not one with a lot of rules and
> restrictions. There are enough restricted maps out there.
That's a novel interpretation of "free" :) If you look at the big,
successful open-source organisations like Wikipedia, Apache, Mozilla
etc, they certainly have plenty of policy, rules, procedures
restrictions, etc. But perhaps we're talking about different things: I'm
talking about the procedures for creating the data. People can of course
consume it however they want. But I think it will be help the reusers of
data to have clear lists of tags that they would want to consider
supporting.

This is just like when you write software to implement an open-source
standard. No one is forcing you to implement the entire standard. But
most developers see the benefit in operating in this standard way, to
improve interoperability.

Steve