[Tagging] Thoughts on how to replace or modify an exist/established tag (Was: Feature Proposal - RFC - sluice_gate)

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 7 01:23:28 GMT 2011

Am 07.01.2011 00:10, schrieb Steve Bennett:
> If by "do their best" you mean, the people involved work hard and in
> good faith, yes. If you mean the result is optimal, then clearly not.
> There are lots of bugs in mapnik.

Where are the trac tickets to improve the situation?

> And just look at the table I produced
> to see the wide discrepancy in tag support across different editors and
> renderers:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Stevage/tagsupport

I'm not argueing that there certainly are bugs, but renderers have - by
definition of their intention - discrepancies in what they want to
display. I really like your table (BTW: A more frequent update would
help), but taking it as an argument for "missing standards" is just strange.

The other way round might make more sense. If all renderers, the wiki,
OSMDoc and alike lists that feature, it seems to be in "common use".
Obviously, this doesn't reflect in any way the semantics of that tag.

> This is just like when you write software to implement an open-source
> standard. No one is forcing you to implement the entire standard. But
> most developers see the benefit in operating in this standard way, to
> improve interoperability.

We are not writing software here, your comparison is therefore wrong for
several reasons. Even if it would be right, why are there so many
competing standards out there?

Please also remember: Standards need quite a while to evolve, e.g. first
GPX was "born" in 2002! Compared to that time and complexity, our tags
are already quite mature - without any "standard body"!

Regards, ULFL