[Tagging] boundary=town, place=town

Pierre-Alain Dorange pdorange at mac.com
Sun Jan 9 12:11:09 GMT 2011

Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I don't follow. There should be a place=town node that is part of
> the boundary=town way? How could the centre of the town be on its boundary?
>
> But anyway, I'm specifically asking about boundary=town ways, and
> place=town ways. Should a town have both a place=town way and a
> boundary=town way? If so, what's the distinction?

Here in France we tag our town with 2 things :

a node (place=town or village, depending on population size)

a relation (type=boundary + boundary=administrative + admin_level=8)
The relation has members :
outer/inner composed with ways that define the boundary (a closed way
defining an area)
and a node (role=admin_centre) defining the node (place) that is the
center of the town (usely the main place in the town, an indicator for
rendering the name for example.

Here's in example (City of Cognac in France) :
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/111381>

We do not use anymore the key boundary for ways, relation are far more
powerful (but a bit more confused to used at the beginning).

OSM wiki references :
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:boundary
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dadministrative
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:admin_level#admin_level

OSM Inspector can help you to check boundary relation (anr more more
things) :
<http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi>
beta.letuffe can also display boundary relation (admin 4, 6, 7 and 8) :
<http://beta.letuffe.org/?zoom=11&lat=45.67924&lon=-0.23922&layers=B0000
FFFFFFFFTFFFF>
--
Pierre-Alain Dorange