[Tagging] boundary=town, place=town

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 12:31:09 GMT 2011

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 11:11 PM, Pierre-Alain Dorange <pdorange at mac.com> wrote:
> a node (place=town or village, depending on population size)
>
> a relation (type=boundary + boundary=administrative + admin_level=8)
> The relation has members :
> outer/inner composed with ways that define the boundary (a closed way
> defining an area)
> and a node (role=admin_centre) defining the node (place) that is the
> center of the town (usely the main place in the town, an indicator for
> rendering the name for example.

Hmm, interesting. Why don't you use the place=town node to mark the
centre of town? (Presumably you mean "place" in the French sense of
"town square").

Also, this makes me think that boundary=town was a shorthand for
boundary=administrative,admin_level=8. Sort of makes sense.

Although...that just raises a different question: what's the
difference between a town mapped out as an area (place=town) and a
town mapped with a boundary=administrative, admin_level=8 (plus
relation).

I guess there is no difference, just two different ways of expressing
the same thing. Along with the subtle distinction between a town
*area* and a boundary *way*.

Steve