[Tagging] Proposed Feature - 2nd RFC - Public Transport

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 11:07:43 GMT 2011

2011/1/13 Dominik Mahrer (Teddy) <teddy at teddy.ch>:
> On 01/12/2011 12:09 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> I think that "particularly designed" is not an essential requirement.
>> Whether a station is a station or not depends only on the function: if
>> it works as a station it is a station.
>
> So you would write "dedicated to passenger access"? But dedicated to is not
> always correct too, or not?

Well, technically passengers are not needed e.g. for train stations
(goods would be fine as well), but I agree that in OSM we could
restrict the usage to passenger transportation (and have another tag
for goods).

IMHO the definition could be: "A station is a public transport
facility where vehicles regularly stop to load or unload passengers,
which is bigger than a pair of bus stops or tram stops." (even if an
aerialway-station might be smaller). To be even more clear it could
be: "A station is a public transport facility where vehicles regularly
stop to load or unload passengers, which in the case of buses or trams
is bigger than a pair of bus stops or tram stops."

> All stop positions should have bus=yes (or train=yes or tram=yes), yes. Did
> I miss one?

Yes, they are missing here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Public_Transport#Examples

I also have noted another thing: "The station itself is mapped as an
Area". Is it necessary to restrict usage to ways, wouldn't it be
better to encourage usage of a relation?

Cheers,
Martin