[Tagging] Tagging Metropolis

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Wed Jan 19 13:32:05 GMT 2011

* Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> [2011-01-19 15:17 +1100]:
> I suggest we investigate something like a general prominence=* tag,
> with values of 1-10.

I wouldn't be opposed to this, but I keep thinking a two-tiered system
like the Ranally City Rating System[0] might be a better approach.  You'd
have one axis for general importance, like the Ranally System's numbers,
where 1 corresponds to national or global importance and 4 corresponds to
local importance; and another axis for a place's relative standing within
its region.

  [0]: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Ranally_city_rating_system

As an example, in Maryland we have Washington DC and Baltimore, which have
similar populations and are both at least national-level hubs, but DC is
the more important of the two.

There's some subjectivity in a scheme like this (but no more, I think,
than determining whether a highway is primary, secondary, tertiary,
etc. in most places outside the UK), but the first axis should be
relatively objective and the second axis shouldn't be a problem for people
living in the region to decide on.

--- --
  "What is your name, barbarian?"
  "Who are you calling a barbarian?" snarled Hrun.
  "That is what I want to know."
                       -- _The Color of Magic_, Terry Pratchett