[Tagging] Tagging Metropolis

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 14:15:22 GMT 2011

2011/1/19 Phil! Gold <phil_g at pobox.com>:
> * Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> [2011-01-19 15:17 +1100]:
>> I suggest we investigate something like a general prominence=* tag,
>> with values of 1-10.
>
> I wouldn't be opposed to this, but I keep thinking a two-tiered system
> like the Ranally City Rating System[0] might be a better approach.  You'd
> have one axis for general importance, like the Ranally System's numbers,
> where 1 corresponds to national or global importance and 4 corresponds to
> local importance; and another axis for a place's relative standing within
> its region.

Sounds similar like the proposed rank:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/new_place_values

The regional importance / significance will be relevant for smaller
units (town, village) while global importance would be implied in
"rank" for cities. The system is very easy: starting by 0 for highest
and going down to 30 for less important places. Don't be afraid by the
numbers, I suggest to only use 0, 10 , 20, 30 for the moment (but
hereby keep optional space for intermediate levels if they might be
necessary).

Using a system like this would also allow for easier use in the
rendering stylesheet (e.g. [rule:place=city and rank<20])

cheers,
Martin