[Tagging] service=drive-through or drive_through?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Mon Jul 4 14:45:38 BST 2011

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Our tagging system (at least for formal values) generally uses English
> words, but the syntax is not English grammar. Anyone with an good
> programming background would immediately recognize how the formal keys
> and values have been constructed: lowercase letters and with
> underscores and using colons to provide a "namespace".

I have a programming background, and I thought (and still think) that
underscore represents a space, not a random character.

> Almost all
> programming languages do not allow hyphens in names of variables,
> functions, objects, and other identifiers (because the hyphens will be
> mistaken for the subtraction operator).

Almost all is a huge exaggeration.  And this isn't a programming
language anyway.

> While we don't really do
> programming with our tags, adopting the naming conventions of
> programmers makes things predictable and consistent.

It doesn't make things any more predictable or consistent.  And if you
want to limit the namespace, there are much better ways to do it than
making arbitrary and undefined translations (sometimes, and not other
times).

> That's the reason why we have cuisine=japanese and
> denomination=roman_catholic instead of cuisine=Japanese and
> denomination=Roman Catholic.

Totally different argument.  Let's settle this one first.