[Tagging] service=drive-through or drive_through?

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 15:43:06 BST 2011

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Our tagging system (at least for formal values) generally uses English
>> words, but the syntax is not English grammar. Anyone with an good
>> programming background would immediately recognize how the formal keys
>> and values have been constructed: lowercase letters and with
>> underscores and using colons to provide a "namespace".
>
> I have a programming background, and I thought (and still think) that
> underscore represents a space, not a random character.

Underscore does usually represent a space in programming languages but
it may also represents other characters that would otherwise not be
allowed in names of variables, functions, etc., like hyphens, slashes,
periods, etc.

If you want to use a hyphenated word or name as an identifier, the
usual method I've seen is to delete the hyphen. But replacing the
hyphen with an underscore is a perfectly acceptable solution.

For example "UTF-8" can become "UTF_8" as these examples show:
http://www.google.com/codesearch#search&q=%22utf_8%22