[Tagging] service=drive-through or drive_through?

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 15:58:53 BST 2011

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 10:51 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> I don't deny that the underscore can be used in a programming language
> to represent a hyphen.  I was denying that "Anyone with an good
> programming background would immediately recognize how the formal keys
> and values have been constructed".  In fact, you don't even elaborate
> on how the formal keys and values have been constructed other than to
> assert that hyphens are replaced with underscores (something which
> would *not* be "immediately recognized", as this is only done in a
> small number of cases, and even in those small number of cases it
> isn't always even apparent without doing research that a hyphen was
> correct in the first place).

Your point actually gives us a reason to use underscores instead of
hyphens. If many people can't remember that two words are correctly
hyphenated ("without doing research that a hyphen was correct in the
first place"), why should we force "correct" hyphens when we can use
underscores? There's a precedent in programming to use underscores to
represent other characters other than spaces and there are several
tags in existence that do just that.

The reason why there are a "small number of cases" is because there
are really a small number of hyphenated words that we decided to use
as tag values.