[Tagging] service=drive-through or drive_through?

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 16:22:47 BST 2011

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 11:07 PM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/7/4 Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com>:
> Seriously, you seem to have picked on this particular issue and are
> now advocating wrong spelling pretending this would make mapping
> easier. IMHO correct spelling (inherent logics) is always easier then
> "rules" how to do it wrong in order to do it right. I know and can see
> from the lists that there are apparently some people in the project
> with problems in orthography (and I include myself for the lists in
> English language), but making arbitrary rules will not improve the
> situation.
>
> I also agree that tags are not written in a #@^′\programming_-_language_^*

I'm not advocating for wrong spelling, but I don't think hyphenation
is part of spelling, but of grammar/syntax. Wikipedia says that
"spelling is the writing of one or more words with letters and
diacritics" and hyphens are neither letters nor diacritics but is a
punctuation mark. The use of correct punctuation is part of grammar
and not of spelling.

Yes, OSM tags are not part of any programming language, but I don't
consider drive_through as an instance of incorrect spelling. Yes, it's
not correct English grammar, but OSM tags don't use English grammar
anyway.