[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - playground:splash_pad

Jason Cunningham jamicuosm at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 20 10:59:06 BST 2011

Not 100% sure about the history of using british_english for tags, but its
linked to the project being founded in the UK and using british_english. To
keep things simple the convention is, where possible, to stick with
british_english for tags.

Wikipedia has a use for some people, but openstreetmap is not part of
wikipedia.The english pages are also dominated by american english which
makes things difficult when using for researching openstreetmap tags.

I suggested water_play_area because there is a successful "water play area"
near me (I'm in the UK), and in recent years more parks near me have built
these features and named them "water play areas".

But.... googling around a bit shows that "water play area" has become
confused in the UK. Although clear originally intended as an area with no
standing water, it now seems some UK local authorities are using the term
for areas of parks set aside for children to play with water. This area
could have paddling pool or "splash park", or often both.

So after all that I've changed my mind. It's better to use a term has a
clear definition and it appears the north american "splash pad" only refers
to areas with no standing water. It would be helpful to create a wiki link
in Openstreetmap that directed "water play area" to "splash pad".

Jason