[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Club

Leandro Motta Barros lmbarros at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 14:36:58 BST 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Alessio Zanol <nardei at infinito.it> wrote:
> In data martedì 7 giugno 2011 14:27:32, Leandro Motta Barros ha scritto:
> [...]
> Thank you for your feedback Leandro.
> I understand what you say and, in general, we know how is hard to concentrate
> the variety of the world in a key/value tag :)
> For this reason at the bottom of the club=* list I put a generic "first-level"
> tag: leisure=club
> I would like to discuss with the list about the possible usage of
> leisure=club.
> Should we set it as strongly suggested tag to use in every club mapped? Or do
> you think that club=* only is enough for most of uses?
> I have no doubt about this. I would prefer a first-level + subtag (if known)
> (see: leisure=club + club=*). But I would like to know what the community
> thinks about this.

I really don't feel experienced enough to give sound advice about
this, but here is a concrete case to think about:

One club in my city has two "places". The first one
(http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/92612662) is their building
used mostly for social events. I tagged it as
amenity=community_centre, which is not very good, but I think it was
the best tag I had at the time. Retaggin it as leisure=club (and see
note 1, below) would be perfect.

The second "place" owned by this club
(http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/92715686) is tagged as
leisure=sports_centre, which, I think, is very adequate. That place
*is* a sports center (which, incidentally, is used almost exclusively
by club members.) I could retag it as leisure=club club=sport
sport=multi, but we would be losing a bit of useful information
(namely, that that place is a sports center).  (I could use
"leisure=club;sports_centre", but I am not a big fan of multiple
values for a tag).

That said, I am not advocating one approach or another. As I said
before, I am not experienced enough to see the deeper implications of
using one or another tagging scheme. Take this as food or though, and
feel free to just ignore it :-)

Just two other notes:

1) Would the "building for social events" be one of these "generic"
clubs, without a specific club=*? Maybe we could add a tag like
club=social, club=social_events. (Or something that sounds better in
English...)

2) Now a suggestion that may actually be useful: I see you suggested a
club=history tag, for clubs "devoted to (local) history and
traditions". I'd suggest using separate tags for club=history and
club=tradition. Here in my state, there is an important "chain of
clubs" that is devoted to preserve the regional traditions (music,
dance, food, legends...) But calling a club like this club=history
just doesn't feel right. History often clashes with the traditions,
local legends and local heroes... they are different things, IMHO.

OK, I talked too much for the day. I'll try to stay quiet now :-)

Cheers,

LMB