[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Kerb

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Thu Jun 23 11:57:42 BST 2011

2011-06-23 Seth Golub:
> It seems that kerb=flush is saying that there is no kerb.

As stated elsewhere, kerb=flush says that there is a kerbstone at the
same level as the surrounding surface. kerb=no says that there is no
kerbstone at all.

> "lowered" seems to mean "raised, but not very much".  I imagine the
> intent was "lowered compared to the otherwise raised sidewalk", but all
> the other values are relative to the road.

The original intent of the proposal, as I read it, was:

lowered = "lowered compared to the normal kerb height"
raised = "raised compared to the normal kerb height"

For me as a German, this seems perfectly logical, because we use the
terms "abgesenkter Bordstein" ("lowered kerb") and "erhöhter Bordstein"
("raised kerb") in exactly that way.

Now, it seems that some native speakers (not all, though [1]) consider
normal kerbs "raised", and are completely confused about the originally
suggested values as a consequence.

-- Tobias Knerr

[1]
http://www.southglos.gov.uk/NR/exeres/efb6adfb-b0b4-4f00-a185-73f4dcf5197d