[Tagging] service=drive-through or drive_through?

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 17:20:48 BST 2011

Hello everyone,

Here's some additional context and history to frame the discussion:

In April 2010, I first suggested having another value (namely,
service=drive_thru) for the service=* tag for drive-through lanes
similar to service=parking_aisle:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2010-April/001710.html

>From the ensuing discussion, "through" vs. "thru" was discussed, some
people questioned the value of having such another value, and there
was a side discussion about public right-of-ways vs. permissive
accesses. The question of underscore vs. hyphen was also tackled.

Based on the responses, the rough consensus that I gathered was for
using service=drive_through. Why? Because people have said that OSM
has a strong preference for unabbreviated words, and also that there's
a strong preference for underscores (In fact, there is no hyphenated
key or value in the Map Features page).

Based on the discussion, I then changed all of the ways that I had
already tagged with service=drive_thru to service=drive_through:

In October 2010, I re-opened the thread asking for opinions regarding
the underscore vs. hyphen question because I noticed the hyphenated
version in the Wiki:
http://www.mail-archive.com/tagging@openstreetmap.org/msg05167.html

Again, most people that replied have expressed a preference for using
the underscore. In addition, by that time, there was also another Wiki
page for the drive_through=yes tag
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:drive_through> to indicate
that an amenity has drive-though service.

Having two tags (drive_through=yes and service=drive-through) one with
an underscore and another with a hyphen is quite inconsistent. So
there's an incentive to harmonize these two tags to both use
underscores.

In April 2011, I moved the Wiki page to service=drive_through:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:service%3Ddrive_through&diff=628129&oldid=566268

In May 2011, I corrected some tag values in some parts of the world:
service=drivethrough -> service=drive_through:
service=drivethru -> service=drive_through:
service=drive_thru --> service=drive_through:
service=drive-through --> service=drive_through:
service=drive-through --> service=drive_through:
+ 10 further changesets.

I didn't receive a message nor did anyone bring the topic up in the
tagging mailing list so I figured that people were OK with what I did.
I certainly modified all over the world and somebody would have
noticed it.

In June 2011 (a few days ago) I continued changing the values to use
underscores instead of hyphens. Dave F. noticed and started this
thread. Based on a suggestion to submit patches, I then submitted
patches to Potlatch 2 at Github and the Mapnik stylesheet at Trac to
use the underscore versions.

This is the history of service=drive_through tag from my perspective.

If this discussion will force the community to finally agree on the
preferred value, then this whole thing would have been worth it.