[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - (Key:designation)

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 17:07:31 GMT 2011

2011/3/2 Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>:
> M?rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> it might also help to use namespaces for the values, like
>> "uk:public_bridleway"
>> instead of "public_bridleway"
>
> So I presume you're planning to do that for other tags whose meaning varies
> by country, like highway=uk:trunk, highway=de:motorway...
>
> OSM. For People Who Don't Quite Understand The Whole "Spatial" Thing In
> Spatial Databases.

There is no doubt that an application can (given correct boundaries
and massive preprocessing) determine in which country a road lies. My
consideration was biased towards novice mappers and a consistent
tagging scheme. The OSM kosmos of tags is already not easy to
understand. If there was a preset like "uk" in front of this tag, e.g.
German or Italian mappers would know that they don't have to care for
these.

cheers,
Martin