[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - (Key:designation)

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Wed Mar 2 19:24:19 GMT 2011

On 01.03.2011 20:04, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> There is already 2 alternative ways to tag these (path and
>> foot/cycle/bridleway), I feel we don't need a third one.
>
> Do try and keep up. This is not a third way of tagging. This is _additional_
> information that can be used with either existing scheme. There is no other
> way of recording the formal legal status of a right-of-way. That's what this
> tag does.

I'm still not quite sure whether I understand what designation=* is
supposed to do. My reading of the current situation:

1) You can tag legal transport modes as *=yes
2) You can tag "legally preferred" transport modes as *=designated
3) You can tag "blue signs" as traffic_sign=* (if you care)

Also, highway=footway/cycleway/bridleway each set a different set of
defaults for 1) and 2), but aren't quite the same as 3).

Apparently, designation has the same purpose as 3), providing a more
human-readable tagging than the proposed extension to traffic_sign=* for
a subset of the cases covered by traffic_sign=*.
Is this correct?

Tobias Knerr