[Tagging] landuse:illegal and illegal:yes/no

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 12:02:35 GMT 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:44 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> illegal=barrier -> barrier=fence, informal=yes
>
> no, this is IMHO not an informal barrier, but an illegal one.

I don't really get what an "illegal barrier" is. A fence that was not
approved of, or commissioned by, the landowner? When does this happen?
What's the benefit in mapping it? These questions might help come up
with the ideal tag.

>> illegal=deforestation -> landuse=farmyard, informal=yes
>
> I agree with Peter that I see "informal" slightly shifted from what
> you intend with its sense.

I'm trying to think why we would map deforestation, and what it really
means. If something has been deforested, presumably it is now
farmland. The deforestation quickly becomes history, rather than the
present.

I think there is probably some sort of cultural background to all this
stuff that hasn't been explained well. Sounds like a place where lots
of illegal activity of various kinds goes on that is interesting and
important to some people.

Steve