[Tagging] landuse:illegal and illegal:yes/no

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 12:22:11 GMT 2011

2011/3/10 Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:44 AM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> illegal=barrier -> barrier=fence, informal=yes
>>
>> no, this is IMHO not an informal barrier, but an illegal one.
>
> I don't really get what an "illegal barrier" is. A fence that was not
> approved of, or commissioned by, the landowner? When does this happen?
> What's the benefit in mapping it? These questions might help come up
> with the ideal tag.

an illegal barrier would be a fence set up by someone to appropriate
himself a piece of land that is not his (e.g. public land, land of a
nature reserve, etc.). This might happen in corrupt places, where the
one setting up the fence would bribe local authorities which in turn
would not take action against him.

I once also came over an illegal barrier in Berlin, where residents
had set up a lift gate at a small public alley which led to the river,
because they felt disturbed by people drinking and laughing there at
night.

These barriers being examples for illegal ones doesn't necessarily
mean that we have to use this wording to tag them, but an informal
fence would IMHO not be an illegal one but one that is improvised
(e.g. not made from usual fence material) rather then technically
accurate.

cheers,
Martin