[Tagging] Locating the voting page for a tag

Malcolm Herring malcolm.herring at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 14 15:19:15 GMT 2011

On 14/03/2011 09:15, Tobias Knerr wrote:

> That's exactly what's wrong with the phrasing on that wiki page. You
> cannot define "rules" that something is rendered a certain way and
> expect renderers to follow them. The wiki tagging pages document how to
> represent a certain aspect of reality in the database, and nothing else.

I repeat, at the top of that page are the words:

"These definitions relate to node tags in the OSM database which will
render on the OpenSeaMap charts."

All that follows defines the tagging specification that the OSeaM
renderer requires to generate its map. In other words, if you want to
see something rendered in OpenSeaMap, it *must* follow those rules.

This is no different to the Street Map. The Mapnik & Osmarender
renderers expect tags to follow their rules. Anything else will be ignored.

Therefore they *are* rules, not suggestions.

Methinks this is storm in a teacup!