[Tagging] "Feature Proposal - RFC - Sidewalk

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 10:16:51 GMT 2011

2011/3/22 Peter Wendorff <wendorff at uni-paderborn.de>:

>>> Where is this data model? I would say: nobody thought about sidewalks at
>>> creating the data model - it's not defined.
>>> If you claim that highway=residential includes sidewalks, that's new to
>>> me -
>>> and neither proofed nor (well) documented
>>

>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Editing_Standards_and_Conventions#Divided_highways
>> "A divided highway (also separated highway) is any highway where
>> traffic flows are physically separated by a barrier (e.g., grass,
>> concrete, steel), which prevents movements between said flows. "
>
> By foot I can cross grass without any problem - probably without perceiving
> it - same by bike.
> By foot I can cross concrete and steel probably, too - while not without
> perception.

yes, as I said, it would be desirable to define the separation to be
able to decide whether you can cross or not. Still a separation by
grass indicates a separate way.

> You start to wide the scope of OSM from car drivers to pedestrians - but you
> don't want to spread your scope to more!?

I do. Why shouldn't I? What I also want is to distinguish sidewalks
from other footways.

> I agree: there should be a distinction - that's why footway=sidewalk is our
> solution for that.

what is the problem with having a distinct tag for it?

cheers,
Martin