[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Sidewalks as separate ways

David Paleino dapal at debian.org
Fri Mar 25 11:30:29 GMT 2011

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 07:21:51 -0400, Serge Wroclawski wrote:

> You're proposing a new relation type,

I'm not. I'm proposing to use associatedStreet, which is well-established. My
preference for "street" is another story. *Entirely*.

> a set of associated tags, etc. in support of the sidewalk data.

Associated tags?

> I'd like to suggest you should sit down and work out some mapnik rules
> for this,

There's no need to; Mapnik already renders highway=footway.

> and work out a way for PL2 users to enter the relation and associations
> you've created.

Come on, it's like any other relation. If potlatch can't support *ANY* kind of
relation editing, it's not my fault. It's a bug. I don't use Potlatch, so I
can't tell how advanced his support for relations is.

> At the very least, this could help the downstream tool folks
> understand your proposals, but I think it'd also help you refine your
> proposal by helping you step back and see how tools would need to
> interact with it.

There's no need in changing tools.

> The only thing I out and out disagree with entirely is your suggestion
> to tag sidewalks with a name.

Eh?! I didn't suggest it. I suggested using a relation. Please stop this FUD.
*NOW*.

> I'm concerned this will confuse folks. And by folks, I mean mappers,
> routers, renderers and editors.. That's why I think this scheme needs
> more work, because, when you map sidewalks as separate ways, you have
> to use a relation, and how exactly that's to work isn't fully figured
> out.

Add the sidewalk with role "sidewalk" to an associatedStreet/street relation,
be it already existent or new-to-create.

Serge, I fear you're just going to go against me in any case. I'm *glad* we're
in different timezones, and we're probably not going to map together in any
place in this world. I'm sorry, I won't reply to you anymore; please read my
previous mails, I think I clarified everything.

Sadly,
David

--
 . ''`.   Debian developer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino